Monday, October 3, 2011

6 Hours of Frog Hollow

6 Hours of Frog Hollow was my first 'official' mountain bike race since being diagnosed with breast cancer in January.  Although to many it may be just another race, to me it was much more.  This race marked the end of my breast cancer treatment and the beginning of many epic things to come.

The weekend was full of anticipation, excitement, an epic course, great friends, a silly puppy, joy, giddiness, and much more.......

In summary of the weekend:

My friend Jo and I won the Women's Duo category.  It was awesome, but more importantly we both exceeded our personal lap time goals.  I exceeded my personal lap time goal by 5 minutes, which consequently was the fastest female lap of the day.

I completed 3 laps on the 13 mile course.  My lap times were 1:00:05 (including LeMans start), 1:00:34, and 1:02:49.

Shannon and my good friend Bob were the fastest team of the day.

Black beans, brown rice, and yams mixed with leafy greens make a good vegan pre-race meal.  Even when camping.

I still have not figured out an easy vegan appropriate recovery drink.

Dizzy is going to be a great race puppy.  He hung out at the tent all day and was as excited about rolling in the dirt as I was about racing my bike.

Cancer has changed me.  It has taken things away from me.  It has not taken away my ability to race my bike!

2012.  Game on!

Me and Jo posing after awards

4 comments:

  1. Way to go, I'd say a great way to return to the sport you love. As far as an "easy" vegan post race drink, V8 juice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fun! Where is Frog Hollow?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man - that's fantastic!!!!! post-race vegan yumminess = choc soy milk. add some hemp protein for some added kick... although mix it up the night before, otherwise it feels sandy on the tongue....

    i'm so happy for you - insanely jealous too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Best fenale lap of the day! Look how awesome you are! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete